Applications Open For The National Film and Video Foundation Development and Production Funding. The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF), is pleased to announce that the call for cycle 2 funding applications for the 2020/21 financial year is now open for the following funding categories:
- Tiers 1 & 2 – Documentary Development (feature films and short films)
- Tier 3 – Documentary Development – short films
- Tiers 1 & 2 – Production: Animation, Archive Funding, Feature Film – Documentary, Feature Film – Fiction, Micro-Budget/Made-for-TV Movie, Short Film – Documentary, Short Film – Fiction, Web Series, 2 – 3 Part TV Length Documentary, TV Pilot, Short film – Animation
- Tier 3 – Production: Micro-Budget/Made-for-TV Movie, Short Film – Documentary, Short Film – Fiction, Web Series, Short film – Animation
- Tiers 1 & 2 – Post-Production: Feature Film – Documentary, Feature Film – Fiction
- Individuals, companies and organisations may submit funding applications to the NFVF for any of the above funding categories. Specific conditions are applicable for each funding category, and it is important for applicants to take careful note of these conditions before submitting an application.
Opening date for submissions: 29 July 2020
Closing date for submissions: 23 August 2020
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The NFVF will not open for the following funding categories for this cycle:
Fiction Development (animation, feature films, short films, and TV formats).
Applicants need to register and complete the online application form using the following link: https://nfvf.praxisgms.co.za/
The updated 2020/21 funding caps are below:
|Feature Film (Documentary)||R 180 000||1 and 2|
|Short Film (Documentary)||R 100 000||1, 2 and 3|
|Feature Film (Fiction)||R 1 800 000||1 and 2|
|Feature Film (Documentary)||R 700 000||1|
|R 500 000||2|
|R 1 000 000||1 and 2 (Co-productions only)|
|Made for TV Movies/Microbudget Films||R 300 000||1, 2 and 3|
|Short Film (Fiction)||R 250 000||1 and 2|
|R 200 000||3|
|Short Film (Documentary)||R 200 000||1 and 2|
|R 150 000||3|
|TV Format (Pilot)||R 250 000||1 and 2|
|2 – 3 Part TV Length Documentary||R 200 000||1 and 2|
|Feature Film (Animation)||R 1 800 000||1 and 2|
|Short Film (Animation)||R 550 000||1 and 2|
|R 350 000||3|
|Web-Series||R 200 000||1, 2 and 3|
Please take note of the following disclaimers:
- Tier yourself accordingly
- Carefully read the definitions of the sub categories before selecting
- It is advisable that the main applicant applies instead of using a 3rd party to apply on their behalf
Tier 1: Experienced filmmakers who have a proven track record for developing and producing 3-5 theatrically released feature films.
Tier 2: Filmmakers with limited experience but who have developed and produced 1-2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, 2-3 short films and/or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production.
Tier 3: New entrants into the industry, particularly recent film school graduates from historically disadvantaged backgrounds. This intervention is geared towards first time filmmakers having a “calling card” in the film industry. This tier is only eligible for short film funding.
Please note that no late applications will be accepted.
For any queries regarding applications please contact:
Telephone: 011 484 0880
Telephone: 011 484 0880