South Africa is a country full of beautiful and cool things. From breaking world records to inventions, there are so many things that make us proud to be South African. Whether its infrastructure, sports, entertainment or travel, South Africa is up there with the best of the world.
You might want to add these cool things to your list when you’re bragging to your friends abroad about this beautiful African country.
1. The University of South Africa (UNISA) is a pioneer of tertiary distance education and is the largest correspondence university in the world with 250,000 students.
2. The world’s largest hospital is the Chris Hani – Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto.
3. South Africa is the only country in the world which has voluntary dismantled its nuclear arsenal.
4. Durban is the largest port in Africa and the ninth largest in the world.
5. Cape Grace Hotel was voted world’s Best Hotel by Readers of Conde Naste Traveller Magazine. The hotel attained the highest score ever in the history of the awards.
6. The Kruger National Park nature reserve supports the greatest variety of wildlife species on the African continent. It is roughly the size of Wales or the state of Massachusetts (USA), which makes it the eighth largest reserve in the world.
7. The world’s best land-based whale watching spot is located in Hermanus, Western Cape.
8. The “Kreepy Krawly”, the World’s first automatic pool cleaning unit, was invented by two engineers from Randburg.
9. Rooibos is the only tea in the world which undergo a fermentation process like black tea. It contains comparable amounts of polyphenols to green tea and shows anti-mutagenic and anti-viral activity but unlike black and green tea, rooibos is completely caffeine free.
10. M-Net is Africa’s largest pay television service, delivering 24hr programming to dozens of countries across the continent.