Applications Open for the Mauritius-Africa Scholarship Scheme 2022 (April 2022 Intake). The Department of Higher Education and Training is the Nominating Agency for South Africans who wish to apply for the Mauritius-Africa Scholarship Scheme.
– South African citizens in good health and with a strong academic record;
– Candidates must have an interest in studying in Mauritius and demonstrate a commitment to the development of South Africa;
– Candidates must be available to study in Mauritius at the start of their academic programme in April 2022;
– All applicants must meet the entry criteria for their selected programme in Mauritius;
– All applicants must meet the minimum academic requirement for entry into a similar programme at a South African university;
– All candidates must have proficiency in English;
– Not be in receipt of a scholarship from any other public source in Mauritius;
– Applicants must have already applied for full-time on-campus studies at any public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius for academic year starting in 2022 (proof of application is required by 19 February 2022);
– Awardees should be vaccinated against COVID-19 to have access to higher education institutions in Mauritius. For awardees who cannot for medical purposes be vaccinated, they will be required to produce duly certified medical certificates;
– Applicants must be prepared to undergo a medical check-up as per the Passport and Immigration Office requirements (http://passport.govmu.org), in Mauritius and the tests results shall be submitted to the Passport and Immigration Office, with a copy to the Ministry, not later than one month after arrival in Mauritius.
Undergraduate Scholarship Applicants:
– Must have successfully completed National Senior Certificate with a Bachelor’s pass and a minimum of 60% average mark achieved, excluding Life Orientation subject;
– Applicants should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by August 2022.
– Candidates already holding an undergraduate degree will not be considered.
Master’s Scholarship Applicants:
– Master’s applicants must have completed an Honour’s degree with a minimum of 60% average mark achieved;
– Applicants should not have reached 35 years of age by 22 August 2022;
– All applicants must submit a detailed study/research plan of about 750 words and a name of a proposed supervisor in Mauritius, where applicable;
– Applicants already holding a Masters’ degree or its equivalent will not be considered.
PhD Scholarship Applicants:
– PhD applicants must already hold a Master’s by research or equivalent degree in the relevant field with a minimum of 60% average mark achieved;
– Applicants should not have reached 40 years of age by 22 August 2022;
– All applicants must submit a detailed study/research plan of about 1 500 words and a name of a proposed supervisor in Mauritius, where applicable;
– Applicants must submit evidence of support from a named supervisor from one of the universities in Mauritius together with their application;
– Applicants already holding a PhD degree or its equivalent will not be considered.
PhD applicants are required to contact potential supervisors at the following link/emails:
What the Scholarship Offers
– Tuition fees and course-related costs of up to MUR 100 000.
– Monthly living allowance to the value of MUR 12 500 (approximately R4 500).
– Students will be entitled to free basic health care in public hospitals in Mauritius.
– Return airfare to and from Mauritius by the most economical route.
NB: Awardees will have to make their own arrangements to pay for their one-way air tickets and then apply for a refund upon arrival in Mauritius by providing the necessary original receipts and documentation. Please read the guidelines to ensure you have the correct documents for a refund.
Closing Date: 31 January 2022 for the April 2022 intake.
Final due date for submission of conditional offer/proof of application and proof of payment for application is 19 February 2022.
All enquiries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click HERE for the application process and more information.