Applications Open for the UNISA Online Tutoring Opportunities for 2021. UNISA is the publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to open and distance education. The University is inviting applications for services as Online Tutors (E-tutors) on an independent contract basis.
Gross Remuneration: R 8043.75 per month
E-Tutors Will Have the Following Duties:
- Provide students with online academic and technical support
- Facilitate online delivery of tutorials
- Manage students’ online learning experiences
- Facilitate students’ online interactions with their peers
- To be considered as an E-tutor, you must meet the following requirements:
- Not be a Unisa Fixed Term or Permanent staff member.
- Ongoing access to Internet connection at your own cost.
- Minimum of an Honours Bachelor’s or equivalent degree (BTech) in the subject that you are applying for.
- Own copies of software packages that may be required for teaching e.g., Internet browsers, word processing etc.
- Advanced computer and Internet skills i.e., no training will be provided in using software packages, Internet sites or email
- Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English (student communication will mostly be text based via myUnisa and discussion forums).
- Commitment to meeting deadlines and a passion for student-centered learning
- Friendly, patient and sensitive to a diversity of students
As An Independent Contractor You Will:
- Not be regarded as an employee of Unisa
- Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical aid, office space, equipment, leave (including sick leave), in terms of the UNISA conditions of service
- Be expected to provide your own infrastructure i.e., your own computer, your own Internet access, workspace and any other office-related equipment
- Work in your own time in completing online teaching tasks to a total of 75hrs per semester (excluding marking)
E-tutoring positions are available in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences in the following Departments:
Requirements for below Geography modules: Undergraduate Geography & Geography Honours Degree or equivalent. (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- GGH1501 – Know Your World: Introduction to Geography
- GGH1502 – World Issues: A Geographical Perspective
- GGH1503 – Our Living Earth
- GGH2601 – The African Challenge: People and Environment
- GGH2602 – The Geography of Services Provision
- GGH2604 – People and the Environment
- GGH2606 – Geography of Tourism
- GGH3701 – State of the Environment in Southern Africa
Department: Environmental Sciences
Requirements for below Nature Conservation modules: Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- CEC3701 – Conservation Ecology III
- FOC1501 – Fundamentals of Conservation I
Requirements for below Horticulture module:
Undergraduate Ornamental Horticulture/ Landscape Technology and Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- PMS2601 – Ornamental Plant Use II
Department: Life and Consumer Sciences
Requirements for Biology, Botany and Zoology modules: Undergraduate Biology or a combination of Botany and Zoology, with Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma) majoring in Biology/Botany/Zoology/Biochemistry, Microbiology/Cell Biology.
- BOT1501 – Plant Structure: Cytology, Morphology and Anatomy
- BOT1502 – Plant Biodiversity and Environmental Botany
- BOT2601 – Plant anatomy, structure & function
- BOT2604 – Botany Practical II
- BLG1501 – Basic Biology
- BLG1502 – Animal and Plant Diversity
- ZOL1501 – Animal Diversity I
- ZOL1502 – Animal Diversity II
Requirements for Physiology Modules:
Physiology/Biology Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- FIS2603 – Physiological Defense Mechanisms
- FIS3702 – Cardiovascular System
Requirements for Food and Nutrition Modules:
Nutrition/Dietetics/Hospitality/Consumer Sciences (within a nutrition stream) Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- FOO1501 – Food Preparation I
- FOO2613 – Food Safety and Hygiene Practices
- NUT1501 – Introduction to Nutrition and Energy Yielding Nutrients
- HPM2601 – Food service Organization Management
- HPM2602 – Meal Management
Requirements for Biochemistry, Biomedical and Microbiology Modules:
Microbiology/Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Genetics Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- BCH2601 – Introductory Biochemistry
- BCH2602 – Bioenergetics
- BCH2603 – Biopolymers of Heredity
- BMI2601 – Clinical Biochemistry
- BMI2602 – Medical Epidemiology
- BMI2603 – Medical Microbiology
- BMI2604 – Molecular Biology
- BMI2605 – Pharmacology
- BMI2606 – Clinical Pathology
- BMI2607 – Immunology
- BMI3702 – Biomedical
- BMI3704 – Haematology
- BMI3705 – Virology
- BMI3706 – Zoonoses
- BMI3707 – Clinical Pathology
- MIB2602 – Microbial Ecology
- MIB3702 – Advanced Microbial Genetics, Recombinant DNA Technology and Industrial Microbiology
Department: Agriculture and Animal Health
Requirements for the module below: Agricultural Extension Honours Degree or equivalent (BTech and Post Graduate Diploma)
- AEX1602 – Community Extension Practice
How to Apply
Only applicants with the relevant or higher qualification will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates with exceptional academic performance or specific expertise in the module applied for.
NB. If you are already appointed for the E-Tutor /Teaching Assistant position, please do not apply again
To apply, you need to do the following:
Complete the Application form
Comprehensive curriculum vitae.
Attach scanned certified copies of the following documents:
- certified copy (within the previous three months) of highest educational qualification.
- certified copy (within the previous three months) of academic transcript.
- certified copy (within the previous three months) of your identity document/passport.
- certified copy (within the previous three months) of your valid permit (foreign applicants).
- certified copy (within the previous three months) of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications (if applicable)
Applications should be emailed to: CAEStutorials@unisa.ac.za
General Enquiries: Mr. M Sultan Beg: Tel: (011) 670 9782
- Late, incomplete, and incorrect applications will not be considered.
- UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
- Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable legislation.
- UNISA reserves the right not to make an appointment
- Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
If you have not been contacted within 4 months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.
Closing Date: Tuesday 17th August 2021