10 Facts You Need To Know About The Delta Covid-19 Variant. Covid-19 Delta is the latest variant of concern of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. When a virus replicates or makes copies of itself, it sometimes changes a little bit, which is normal for a virus. When a virus is widely circulating in a population and causing many infections, the likelihood of the virus mutating increases. The more opportunities a virus has to spread, the more it replicates , and the more opportunities it has to undergo changes.
Learn more about Delta Covid-19 variant from the 10 facts below;
- A variant of the Covid-19 virus known as the Delta variant was first identified in India, and it is responsible for the COVID crisis in the country.
2. The delta variant is now present in more than 80 countries. More transmissible than the alpha variant, it is sparking concerns of further loss of lives and lockdowns.
3. The delta variant has multiple mutations. Scientists don’t know the exact function of these mutations at this point in time but they are associated with allowing the virus to bind to the cells of humans and helping the virus to escape some immune responses
4. Delta Variant is spreading rapidly in some regions and on track to become the dominant virus strain globally.
5. This new variant seems to be not only arising, but it seems to start dominating the infections in South Africa
6. Most studies indicate Delta is 50-60% more transmissible than the Alpha variant. The Alpha variant itself was nearly 50-60% more transmissible than the original strain.
7. COVID-19 Delta symptoms may be easily mistaken for those of the common cold, including sore throat, runny nose, and fever.
8. Expert say that the Delta variant is unlikely to pose much risk to people who have been fully vaccinated.
9. In England, the rise of COVID-19 Delta cases in children is due, in part, to the fact that children younger than 12 are not yet able to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
10. But now a mutation of that variant has emerged, called “delta plus,” which is starting to worry global experts.