The job market may be improving, but the competition is as fierce as ever. Knowing that there are often hundreds of job seekers going for the same coveted position, some candidates will do almost anything to stand out from the crowd. In this highly competitive job market, job seekers are using creative ways to break through the clutter and make a lasting impression on an employer but, taking a creative approach to the job application and interview process can be risky. It’s a judgment call; Stunts may catch an employer’s attention, but they can also backfire and cost you the job. Employers like creativity, but they also want to know that you’re serious about the opportunity.
The following list is of people that took creative measures to get a job and actually got hired!
1. Candidate contracted a billboard outside of employer’s office.
2. Candidate gave a resume on a chocolate bar.
3. Candidate showed up in a suit with a red T-shirt underneath a white shirt. The red T-shirt had a message – “Hire me, I work hard.”
4. Candidate asked to be interviewed in Spanish to showcase his skills.
5. Candidate crafted the cover letter like an invitation to hire her rather than a request (similar to a wedding invitation).
6. Candidate climbed on a roof the employer was repairing and asked for a job.
7. Candidate performed a musical number on the guitar about why he was the best candidate.
8. Candidate volunteered to help out with making copies when he saw interviewer’s assistant was getting frazzled.
9. Candidate repaired a piece of company’s equipment during the first interview.
10. Candidate sent a message in a bottle.