Itumeleng Khune is one of South Africa’s favourite goalkeepers who is definitely leaving his dream. Born in 20 June 1987 Khune is the goalkeeper of Kaizer Chiefs and the National team. So here is your chance to know a bit more Itumeleng Khune.
1. Khune comes from Tshing near Ventersdorp in the North West.
2. He grew up in a family of six in which his father, a mineworker in one of Ventersdorp’s mines, was the sole breadwinner.
3. He was in love with cricket idolising Nicky Boje. He eventually decided to pursue a career in football to earn a living for him and his family.
4. Khune’s younger brother Lucky Khune previously played as a striker for Chiefs.
5. He won SA Sports Awards Newcomer of the Year in 2008
6. Khune was selected for the 2010 FIFA World Cup as Carlos Alberto Parreira’s first-choice goalkeeper and made some good saves in the opening match against Mexico
7. He started his career as a defender and only became a goalkeeper by chance after being told to put gloves on after experiencing pains in his chest during a trial at Kaizer Chiefs.
8. He made his PSL debut against Jomo Cosmos on 25 August 2007.
9. While he made his Bafana Bafana debut 11 March 2008 v Zimbabwe.
10. The African Cup of Nations was Khune’s third major tournament.